The Assistant Reviews Editor is responsible for co-editing the reviews with the Chief Reviews Editor. The main difference between the two positions is that the Chief Reviews Editor is responsible for maintaining and organizing the continuous flow of reviews and contacting the publishing houses while the Assistant Reviews Editor does not. The Assistant Reviews Editor specializes in editing reviews in terms of grammar, content, and historiography. If the Assistant Reviews Editor is interested in working with publishing houses and soliciting reviews, then he/she is also welcome (although it is not required).
Applicants do not need to have prior journal editing experience to apply for this position.
Time commitment: 0-5 hours a week
Position duration: This position runs from August 1, 2014 to July 31, 2014, with possibility for renewal or position as Chief Reviews Editor.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
1. To work with the Chief Reviews Editor to prepare reviews for inclusion in the fall and spring issues.
2. To edit the rolling reviews with the Chief Reviews Editor.
3. To assist in creating final proofs of accepted reviews.
4. To reply with edits to Chief Reviews Editor in a timely fashion
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Maintain graduate student status for the complete duration of the position
- Ability to edit prose for content, organization, and detailed areas such as grammar and punctuation
- Organizational skills
- IT literacy
- Able to adhere to strict editorial schedule
- Familiarity with basic HTML/Wordpress editing
Rate of Pay
All positions at Hortulus are un-paid voluntary positions and provide an opportunity for MA/PhD students to get more involved in online academic publishing.
15th of July, 2018
- A cover letter (<500 words) stating why you are interested in the position and your research interests
- A copy of your CV in .pdf or .doc format