To undertake a range of duties associated with organizing, editing, and publicizing an academic journal by working in coordination with the Senior Editor. This is a two-year post from 15th of August 2018 until 15th of August 2020. Applicants MUST NOT graduate during this period and must maintain their position as a graduate student (US)/post-graduate researcher (UK) during the entire length of the position. If you have already received your doctorate degree or WILL receive your doctorate degree during this term you will be ineligible for the position. The appointed applicant will undertake a junior-editorship during the first year of service and a senior-editorship in the second year of service.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
1. To take responsibility for the planning, organisation and delivery of the journal in a timely manner.
2. To be responsible for the maintenance of the website, social media outlets, and publicity.
3. To participate fully in the assessment process by designating peer-reviewers for articles, maintaining and developing the assessment criteria, and assessing articles for acceptance to or rejection from the journal.
4. To supervise assistant editors and the Reviews Editor in their work in evaluating the content and grammar of accepted articles, and to work with additional staff to maintain a consistent and professional identity for Hortulus.
5. To undertake administration as reasonably requested by the Senior Editor including but not limited to project management, email correspondence, updating records, and revision of style-guides and internal policy documents.
6. To engage in detailed editing of content published by the journal including but not limited to organization, comprehension, grammar, style, and quality assurance.
7. To be willing to learn new skills required by the position both generally and specifically related to programs and applications.
8. To network with other postgraduates and staff members to promote the journal throughout one’s tenure as co-editor.
9. To draft solicitations for job-openings at the journal.
10. To draft calls for papers for the journal and its affiliated events.
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Ability to edit prose for content, organization, and detailed areas such as grammar and punctuation
- Organizational skills
- IT literacy
- Familiarity with basic HTML
- Experience managing projects
Rate of Pay
All positions at Hortulus are un-paid voluntary positions and provide an opportunity for MA/PhD students to get more involved in online academic publishing.
15 July, 2018
Please email the following items to email@example.com with the subject line: co-editor position.
- Your completed Application Form
- A copy of your CV in PDF format
- A cover letter with your statement of interest, including any experience you have with editing and academic writing